Sunday, September 20, 2009

Puffy rulez!

10:44 PM Posted by: Mad Lord Snapcase 0 comments

No puffy is not a dog or any other 4 legged animal. It is a pufferfish, it is the mascot of OpenBSD. I decided to give OpenBSD 4.5 a try. It has been a while since I used it. The install was a breeze. Grab the iso and I have a minimal X session working. I liked the fact that ifconfig could do wireless configuration instead of using a different binary in the Linux world.

ifconfig iwi0 wpa wpapsk "0xlongasskey"; ifconfig iwi0 up ; dhclient iwi0. Lo and behold I was connected to net via wireless. pkg_add -i was easy enough. I like aptitude better though. The FAQ was good enough to get the system up and running. Now I have a OpenBSD system with an Gnome that is consistent with my Debian system. Nice!

I need to get encrypted filesystem up and running, that's on my list of things to do.

0 comments: