Sunday, November 16, 2008

Brisingr!

12:17 PM Posted by: Mad Lord Snapcase 0 comments

Harry Potter! Yeah I am a fan of the Harry Potter series, been avoiding them for years and BAM in one week finished 6 of them after being bored after a week of hectic work. I was discussing the plot of HP7 before it came out with a friend and he goes like, there is another series that you might like, Eragon and Eldest. I go like Eragon? Yeah it is a story of dragons and all. I was skeptical. Bought Eragon anyway.

Damn! I was hooked. The book was awesome. The details the author paid attention to in building the characters and the way the plot evolved had me stuck to the couch for the whole weekend. The author Christopher Paloni was 15 when he wrote the book. As Ali G would say "RESPECT". :) Who gives a shit if the author borrowed ideas or was influenced by Lord of the Rings or Star Wars as alleged by "critics". As far as I am concerned the author rocks, the book was fun to read.

The first book is about Eragon finding a dragon egg, then birth of Saphira (the dragon) and a epic journey with Brom, Murtagh and Arya. The second book Eldest is about Eragon gets trained by the Elves and war with King Galbatorix's army. I bought the third book just right after it was released this year. Nah I didn't stand in lines for book. I didn't stand in line for HP7 either. Just walked into a book store the next day bought it without having to spend hours together in lines or put my name on the reservation lists :D.

The author decided that there would be 4 books instead of 3. The wait for the third book, Brisingr was worth it. The plot evolves into the battle between Murtagh and Eragon, a election of the king of drawfs, the last training of Eragon. secret of how Galbatorix just keeps getting more and more powerful.

What I like most about the books are that , the characters are very humane and how magic is explained. Magic as described is about channeling surrounding energies and not something that is quite mysterious unlike in HP where flow of magic is mostly through the wand.

0 comments: