Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bettle the Bard

5:19 PM Posted by: Mad Lord Snapcase 0 comments

Last night I was in Barnes and Noble, I was there to buy the book, Lord of Light. I was getting it based on a ex-colleague's recommendation after he read this blog entry. I stroll around, make my way to the Starbucks there, to get whatever is their this season's offering. I have tasted most of Starbucks stuff, I am not a huge fan. I seem to be a fan of local mom and pop coffee shops which kind of have more life in them. Arrgggh the queue is long, like really long, screw it, I go looking for the book that I am here for and my eye falls on "Tales of Beetle the Bard".

Holy shit. I completely forgot that this book was being released in Dec. Yeah, in case you missed, I am a HP fan. The cover illustration was great. Picked it up and it was pretty thin! I scratch my head and I am like I am going to buy this or just read it here :D . My urge to read the book won out and found a place to sit and started to read it.


Yeah it was laid out as a children's book. Lots of spaces between lines, just a couple of lines per page with the author's introduction to the tales. The tales of
  • The Wizard and the Hopping Pot"
  • The Fountain of Fair Fortune"
  • The Warlock's Hairy Heart"
  • Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump"
  • The Tale of the Three Brothers"

are there in the book. While the stories themselves are fairly simple ones, with The Warlock's Hairy Heart being a lil graphic. What is most interesting in the book is the notes of Albus Dumbledore. The notes are of what the tales really mean. The notes are brutally honest in conveying their message of what's important in life, what is the smart thing to do. I didnt expect the author to talk about censorship that parents trying bring about in order to protect their lil darlings. On the other hand it is not so hard to imagine why since there have been orgs trying to get HP out of libraries and denounce it. Reads notes of Albus in the story of "The Warlock's Hairy Heart".

I finished the book, returned it to the stack, probably buy it later. I do that sometimes, when I like part of a book or whole of the book, I tend to buy it later if needed. I got the book Lord of Light. It will be a while before I finish this book.

Aah, the coffee shop just announced free pastries! Yummy croissant's with choc filling is what I grabbed. They are closing up in an hour, time for me to bail as well.

0 comments: